Improved User Data –
In my post “Taxonomy Team Effort – Part One“, I described the enormous undertaking by multiple teams to implement a keyword-based taxonomy of over 200 terms. Soon thereafter, I realized the new taxonomy provided opportunities for improved user reporting:
- Each piece of content was now assigned to one category only eliminating duplicate category data.
- Each piece of content showed the new category in the post markup.
From the course I completed on Google Tag Manager, I knew data could be retrieved from site markup and aggregated into Google Analytics and custom reports in Google Data Studio.
Here’s a breakdown of the project:
- Development Team
The development team created custom ID and variable to retrieve category text from post markup.
- My Part
I created tags in Google Tag Manager to record the post category text as a custom dimension on DOM complete. I then created category rollup reports in Google Data Studio using Google Sheets and Google Analytics for a broader look at the topics members were reading.
Ad Operations can now report on most popular categories on website to better sell and target ads.